Sugar Land

Caution: It may Get too sweet or simply too sour for your taste, so BE WARE!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Home...

Two years ago I was going through a very messy and chaotic faze in my life...Some of our current circumstances forced us to move from Abu Dhabi to Sharjah. It was a very difficult thing for me to do, I'm sure its difficult for anyone who has lived in a certain place for 19 years, and all of a sudden is asked to move to another place without having any choice....I was very angry, but my way of expressing anger is to simply become the Quietest person you will ever know....

And to make matters worst my university refused to move me to Dubai as it was the end of semester, and they preferred for me to finish the term at the Abu Dhabi campus (The university has two branches one in Abu Dhabi and the other in Dubai, and it was no problem shifting from one place to another, but the people who administrate there just love to make things difficult sometimes).....And putting this conflict in mind my parents decided we are going to rent a furnished apartment where we are going to stay for over a month until I finish my remaining semester...

But after a family friend knew about the fact that we are going to stay somewhere else, she insisted that we stay at her place (isn't it funny when relatives don't act polite in times of need, instead total non-related great human-beings are sent for your rescue?)....My mother and father being the people that they are totally turned the lady down but she insisted, and at that moment I jumped and said I'll stay here for a month while you guys can move ahead and settele down there...I had no idea what I was getting myself into...My father had no problem with that as he has always allowed me to make decisions for myself, but my mother wasn't pleased about it......She didn't say anything but again I never needed any language to communicate with my mother....The look of her eyes always gave me the preview of her current imotion, whether it was anger when I do something wrong, or sadness like I saw it on that day....

I still remember the evening when it was time to drop me off at our friend's house....My father took me to this fancy restaurant where my mother wasn't eating anything....and after that they took me to my destined destination....My mom went ahead with my laguage while I stayed to say good bye to my father...he gave me a hug and walked me hand-in-hand to this giant gate...he looked me in the eye and said....Dear, if you ever need anything call me, even if it is in the middle of the night I will be there....I think that was the most touching thing my father ever said to me...not that he is a stiff man when it comes to his emotions, but that moment would top my list for him being the great father that he is...(P.S. I wasn't talking at all at that time...bad habits die hard...lol)

My Mom was waiting upstairs for me with her friend and her daughters, and she was already crying....at that point I let all emotions rule me and got teary eyed myself....I didn't even hug her...I'm not good at good-byes..in fact I SUCK...My friend was like what would you do when you get married... and I was like Well my husbans is gonna have to deal with it...lol.

My parents came on weekends and took me back to my new so called "home".....but I did stay in AD without them for well over a month and to my
surprise I HATED the place....it wasn't the city that I knew...it wasn't the city I grew up in...It wasn't the city I was greifing for because of me leaving it...

All of a sudden it hit me....Home Wasn't about 4 walls and a Ceiling or a city anymore...to me at that point wherever my parents stood for me that would be called home....It isn't the house or the city that makes a home....its your people and loved ones that make a home.....


After over a month I finished my semester and was re-united with my parents again...throughout that time I remember being completely Emotionally shut down...thats the reason maybe why I don't remember much of my time there....

I recall the first six months being very difficult for a quiet town girl to adjust and settle in a city that literally doesn't sleep.....But now I feel like this is where I belong...Beside I got to meet alot of amazing people that I never thought I'd meet in my life, two of them are Canc3riaN and Dynamic Deeds who need no introduction to their coolness...But above it all I'm glad I understood the concept of home this early in life and before its too late...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww... That was a really touching post. I felt every word in it. Especially since I've been your situation (worse even). I had to leave Kuwait and go to Bahrain for college. I wasn't accepted to study medicine in Kuwait, but the folks in Bahrain wanted me there (Kuwait University had a great loss!). Anyways, it was really hard to be away from home. Yet, you develope this feeling of warmth in your new place after awhile. As the people around you make it all worth living and calling "it" a home.

Thanks for your comment of my post. Now I know why you said that. ;)

July 25, 2007 at 1:00 AM  
Blogger Sugar-Free Sweetie said...

Thanx Sara....and as you said it was their loss by not accepting you...and I'm glad to know that you have setteled down as well....its so nice from you to pass by...

July 25, 2007 at 1:28 AM  
Blogger eshda3wa said...

home is where the heart is

July 25, 2007 at 10:01 PM  
Blogger M said...

beaaaaaautiiiiful ;)


I'm really glad your dad made the decision to move to SHJ or else I wouldn't have met you.

I honestly admire your parents for raising such an eloquent and intelligent young lady like yourself!


and as eshda3wa said HOME is WHERE THE HEART IS =P
So basically ur home is in dubai ;) ;) Cos ana hene =P

July 25, 2007 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger Sugar-Free Sweetie said...

eshda3wa...thanx for your kind thoughts...

Dee thanx for the dynamic reply...and you couldn't be any more right....hehehe...thanx again sis

July 26, 2007 at 11:24 PM  
Blogger Reem B. said...

Sugar..... AMAZINGLY WRITTEN AND COULDN"T HAVE BEEN EXPRESSED ANY BETTER.

:( My home is Mirdif-Dubai. I miss it.

I lived there for 13 years. But then honestly I don't know what happened... life just changed and we grew up and ..... well... "the circle of life" thingy! We moved.

I'd like to share this thought...
I've come to learn really that home is not only furniture!

Note: I appreciate what you said about me and I'm sooooooo glad to know that you're happy you met me. For what it's worth I've got to also let you know that I am a very true cancerian ( cancer )... and one of my characteristics that I don't arta7 to people easily and when I do it only means how truthful my appreciation and feelings are for them. You're one of those whom I really feel safe and at peace with. An amazing person and a great friend! :D

And yes your HOME IS DUBAI cuz ana w DeeDee hni..

July 27, 2007 at 5:16 AM  
Blogger Reem B. said...

la la la wait !!!! My home is MOE! mall of the Emirates!!!

( I hope DeeDee never reads this! )

July 27, 2007 at 5:16 AM  
Blogger Sugar-Free Sweetie said...

Hey Canc3riaN.....thanx for such kind thoughts...and lets keep the MOE thing a secret from Dee...hehehe

July 28, 2007 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger Reem B. said...

Anytime.... ;) And yes it's a secret! If you want I'll give you the guests room's key ;P

July 28, 2007 at 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home